Monday, December 29, 2008

The State of the Theater


It is hard to believe that just a few months ago The Antioch Area Theater was a constant hub of artistic enterprise and activity. As late as August, children sang and adults came to dance under its fragile roof. Last year alone, this supposedly inadequate facility housed two Antioch Theater productions, two YSKP productions, two Antioch School productions, the AACW Bluesfest, Antioch College senior projects and numerous classes, rehearsals and meetings too many to mention. At the last Antioch College Reunion, the theater was packed with alumni, students and people from town watching performances from every constituency the theater has served. Now we witness the death of a building that was once a site of community life.

I want to alert you to the condition of the Antioch Theater building as of this past week. There apparently has been a fairly major leak, probably involving the downspouts from the roof drains that are plumbed inside the building. These have leaked before over the years and it has been imperative in the past to keep the drains cleared and maintained regularly during the winter. This obviously has not been done and the building is severely compromised at this point. At present, there is condensation on the interiors of all of the windows which indicates a high level of moisture in the building. In the back, off the dance studio, pieces of ceiling tiles have floated in from the next room where they obviously have fallen. The front lobby carpet is noticibly wet and probably ruined. There is a large crack in the floor of the first lobby and a puddle outside the reception area where the large pipe from the roof is located. The dance studio's sprung floor has some buckling due to water damage from leaks. Debris is scattered as though it had floated from elsewhere and a pile of raccoon leavings that were in the middle of a room (visible from the back window) has apparently floated or melted away in the recent flooding. No doubt this will be a perfect place for mold to thrive in a building that never really had the problem before.

I inhabited this building for almost fifteen years. In that time, we came close to having a new roof quite a few times—but it never happened. Too bad.

The damage to the theater that has been done strictly by weather in just under two months does not bode well for the state of the rest of the campus. Clearly, historic buildings left with no climate control and without the possibility of people in them to monitor their condition will quickly lose their viability. The report by the Stanley Group, commissioned by the University to assess the state of the buildings named the theater as structurally sound and did not recommend that it be razed. Now, most likely, the only thing that will be left to salvage will be the steel beams of the old foundry. This could have gone a very different way.

4 comments:

steve said...

Louise, thanks for the report, as devastating as it is. It brings tears to my eyes to read it, and to picture the horror of the neglect you describe. I too literaly grew up in that building and feel I owe my whole life, and career to the hours and hours, days and nights,schooldays and co-op jobs spent learning, working, stretching myself, meeting my friends, designing for the first time, directing for the first time, creating from scratch for the first time. I started going to the foundry while in high school in Dayton. Then going to Antioch to really participate was a foregone conclusion for me.
Whitney LeBlanc, Meredith Dallas, Paul Treichler, and wonderful Marty Overstreet were my guides, my teachers, and my friends. Their spirits and energy drove the Antioch Area Theatre, and every one of us who fell in love with theatre in that wonderful crazy old foundry.
Stephen Hendrickson '65
shen281@gmail.com

Unknown said...

For the longest time while at Antioch I used to note that when I was at school I'd say,"I'm traveling home" to go to my mother's. When there I'd say, "I gotta get home" to get back to Antioch. The joke was home was always someplace I was chasing. After everything that has happened in the last year and now reading this I know that I always had a home. It was Antioch. It was our theatre. And now my quaintly decrepit home is facing trrue destruction. Once I stop crying, I'm sure the devastation is going to sink in. And after that... I just don't know. I am so sorry Louise. For all of us, for everyone. Thank you for telling us.

-Beth Richards
B.A. Dance/Theatre
1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004

Unknown said...

I don't think I will ever find a place better than that wonderful building with the wonderful people within it.

I feel angry at the neglect and desecration the buildings have been shown.

But there is a cultural war out there. The campus buildings cannot contain us. The value of Antioch and of the Antioch theater lives beyond the parameters of buildings. I know that my theater community is out there in the world making art and making community and making a difference.

We all yearn for that building, we all yearn for that time in that space. We know its value.

Thanks Louise. You gave many of us that. That building and community and value is appreciated because of you and John and Karen and Carlyle. The building is special, but you guys are the magic.

steve said...

Louise, If you are back at the foundry any time could you please post some digital pictures of what you see? I think all the community needs to see what you have described.
Stephen Hendrickson